***Currently we are only seeing patients via tele-health***
Members of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ+) population continue to experience worse health outcomes than their non-LGBTQ+ counterparts. Due to factors like low rates of health insurance coverage, high rates of stress due to systematic harassment and discrimination, and a lack of cultural competency in the health care system, LGBTQ+ people are at a higher risk for cancer, mental illnesses, and other diseases, and are more likely to smoke, drink alcohol, use drugs, and engage in other high-risk behaviors. People who are both LGBTQ+ and members of a racial or ethnic minority will often face the highest level of health disparities.
SAAF has proposed to improve health equity among LGBTQ+ and other underserved populations by creating our region’s first LGBTQ-affirming and dedicated health center–SAAF Health. We offer primary care medical services in a safe and supportive clinical setting designed to (1) increase access to care and optimize health outcomes for the LGBTQ+ community and other marginalized populations; and (2) reduce health disparities among Pima County’s LGBTQ+ community. We will target health care services to patients of all ages from the LGBTQ+ community and other marginalized populations, including: people experiencing homelessness, people who inject drugs such as those participants utilizing our Syringe Access Program (over 300 people weekly), refugees, those without legal immigration status, and people of color.
About SAAF Health
At SAAF Health, a Nurse Practitioner experienced in the needs of the LGBTQ+ community and in providing care with cultural humility will offer clinical services to those seeking LGBTQ+ affirming care in a non-judgmental, safe environment:
- Primary care for children and adults, including well/prevention care, chronic care and disease management, acute care visits, and mental health care
- PrEP and PEP (HIV prevention)
- Sexual Health Screenings and Prevention
- Women’s health/Pap Smears
- Gender affirming care including medication and hormone therapies
Clinical services are provided at no cost to the patient, further reducing barriers to care and increasing access to our community’s most vulnerable populations. SAAF Health provides outpatient medical services to patients 13 years and older. The services that are provided by SAAF Health include, but are not limited to the following:
Basic Scope of Service:
- Acute Care
- Geriatric Care
- Preventative (Women’s Health, Men’s Health, Adolescents)
- GYN care
- Chronic Disease
- Management and Education
- Illness Prevention and Education
- Immunization (Adults and Adolescents)
- Minor Procedures (minor wound repair)
- Tele-Medicine Services
- Integrated Behavioral
- Health Services
- Long-acting birth control (Nexplanon, IUD, Depo)
Diagnostic laboratory procedures, including:
- Urinalysis, by dipstick
- Examination of stool specimens for occult blood
- Pregnancy testing (urine)
- Primary culturing for transmittal to reference lab
- HIV/STI/HCV testing
The basic scope of services includes those diagnostic and therapeutic services and supplies that are commonly furnished in a medical practice or at the entry point into the health care delivery system. This is accomplished by the following direct services:
- Prevention of illness and promotion of health through obtaining medical history, physical exams, assessing health status, treatment of various medical conditions, providing annual check-ups, well-childcare and patient education.
- Diagnosis of problems presented at the medical clinic by taking health histories, doing appropriate physical exams, lab tests, pap smears, pregnancy tests and other diagnostic testing and procedures.
- Treatment of immediate problems and chronic illnesses with drug prescriptions, injections, and other procedures as medically necessary.
- Acute care for minor injuries or illnesses.
- Counseling regarding questions or concerns that patients may have about their physical and /or mental health.
- Referral of patients to medical specialists, testing (imaging, etc.) public and private health and social services agencies.
- Referral and follow-up treatment to patients who require hospitalization, emergency room care, assisted living, or home health care.
Specimens requiring testing not available at SAAF Health are referred to one of the following laboratories:
- Pathology Services: Sonora Quest Laboratory
- Lab Corp Laboratory
- CDD Laboratory
Establish Care at SAAF Health
If you would like to establish care at SAAF Health, fill out this form and someone will contact you as soon as possible.