Senior Prevention Specialist
Scope of Work
The Senior Prevention Specialist will provide Early Intervention Services. These efforts will focus on helping control the spread of infectious diseases, as well as their ongoing consequences, by providing services such as testing, health education, outreach, and referrals to treatment for infectious diseases such as HIV, viral hepatitis, and other sexually transmitted infections. The Senior Prevention Specialist reports to the Harm Reduction & Testing Manager to assist in the implementation of the harm reduction program, as well as other prevention programs. Services provided are in Pima, Pinal, and Maricopa counties. This is a full-time, (40hrs/work wk.) non-exempt position. This position must be able to travel out of Tucson and work very flexible hours, including evenings, late nights, weekends, and some holidays. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Provides HIV/Hepatitis C rapid testing (finger-stick) and referral services.
- Provides HIV confirmatory testing (venipuncture), referral to services, and linkage to care.
- Provide linkage to care activities for participants who test HIV positive, in particular, connecting them with medical care.
- Coordinate scheduling of HIV testing and education activities in Pinal County.
- Coordination of linkage services with SAAF’s Linkage Liaison.
- Assists and conducts outreach and recruitment in the community, as well as health education workshops and groups (HIV, and Harm Reduction, etc.) for participants.
- Keeps current on HIV/AIDS, viral hepatitis, harm reduction/risk reduction models, substance abuse, and other health-related issues and serves as a resource to other agency and program staff on these topics.
- Assists in the development, delivery, and tracking of targeted risk reduction social marketing and/or social media posts/campaigns.
- Gather and maintain accurate documentation of all activities and events using proper forms, files, and databases.
- Gathers information to assist Harm Reduction & Testing Manager in doing their funder reports.
- Serve as a liaison with collaborating organizations.
- Maintain supply inventory and work with Harm Reduction & Testing Manager to order supplies as needed.
- Coordinates all program activities in collaboration with the Harm Reduction & Testing Manager.
- Attend specialized skill-building trainings.
- Participate in agency events and attend program and agency meetings, and training as deemed appropriate/necessary.
- Work collaboratively within the Prevention and Care Services Departments, including but not limited to covering shifts for HIV/HCV testing, Syringe Access, Community Education, and/or assisting with unloading food pantry items, programmatic support, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in social services or health-related field or 2 years’ work experience in sexual health, HIV/AIDS prevention, substance abuse prevention, risk reduction/harm reduction techniques and/or other health-related issues.
- Readiness to be trained (if needed) and to then perform required phlebotomy-related venipunctures for confirmatory testing.
- Ability to work independently and carry out instructions.
- Must be able to travel independently in order to carry out rural testing.
- Demonstrate a comprehension and appreciation of diverse and complex cultures.
- Ability to exercise and demonstrate compassion and non-judgment when working with program participants.
- Responsible, dependable, energetic self-starter who is able to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Must be comfortable in a variety of community settings (including gay bars & rural communities).
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Reliable vehicle, a valid AZ Driver’s License, current insurance, and a driving record that will be supported by our liability insurance provider.
- Four (4) years work or volunteer experience in sexual health, HIV/AIDS prevention, substance abuse prevention, risk reduction/harm reduction techniques and/or other health-related issues.
- Phlebotomy trained (SAAF will provide training if not already).
- Bilingual (English/Spanish).
- Experience working with adults and/or youth with a history of substance use.
- Teaching/group facilitation skills.
- Responsible, dependable, energetic self-starter.
- Computer literate, especially familiarity with Microsoft Office software.
Non-Exempt: $19.50 – $23.62/hr DOE
Eleven (11) paid holidays, two (2) half day paid holidays, one (1) paid floating holiday, twenty (20) days of paid vacation per year to start, in addition to 40 hours of sick leave. Health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 401(k) with matching, long-term and short-term disability insurance. Additional optional plans include Life Insurance, Pet Services Discount Plan, Equitable plans (Accident Insurance, Critical Illness Insurance and Hospital Confinement Insurance). Access to SAAF Health Clinic on-site for primary care needs.
Submit a letter of interest and resume with dates of employment to:
Yvette Bass, Recruiting and Retention
Southern Arizona AIDS Foundation
375 S. Euclid Ave.
Tucson, AZ, 85719
or email firstname.lastname@example.org, or fill out the form below.
The Southern Arizona AIDS Foundation is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or disability.
People who have used drugs, have performed sex work, people of color, women, members of the LGBTQ+ communities, those who have experienced housing insecurity, people who have received harm reduction services, and people living with HIV/AIDS and/or hepatitis C are strongly encouraged to apply.
This job is a Medium work job, as defined by the Social Security Administration, CFR. CFR § 404.1567. Physical exertion requirements:
(c) Medium work. Medium work involves lifting no more than 50 pounds at a time with frequent lifting or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 pounds. If someone can do medium work, we determine that he or she can also do sedentary and light work.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; an employee will also perform other reasonably related job responsibilities as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other management as required. Management reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment. Management reserves the right to change job descriptions, job duties, functions, and requirements.